The Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay) visa stay period will be extended from 3 to 6 months

You can apply for this visa if you want to enter Australia to: ·         do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work

·         participate in a cultural or social event at the invitation of an organisation in Australia

·         in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.


To apply, you must be able to show that:

·         the work you want to do or your participation in the event is short term and non-ongoing

·         you need to be in Australia to do the work or participate in the activity

·         you have personal attributes or an employment background relevant to the work or activity

·         you have enough money to support yourself and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia

·         you have the support of the organisation for which you will be working or which invited you to Australia

·         you will not study a course in Australia that leads to a formal qualification

·         you meet health and character requirements.


Your work or activity must be non-ongoing. This means that you can finish it in 6 months or less. You usually cannot work in the entertainment industry on this visa..

Your work or activity cannot have an adverse impact on the employment, training opportunities or conditions of employment in Australia.

While you are in Australia, you must be able to support yourself and your family members who come with you to Australia. You might be asked to provide evidence of funds, such as an employment contract, bank statements or a letter from your financial institution stating your financial position. Allowances, accommodation and other assistance from your employer can also be considered when looking at your ability to support yourself.

This comes into operation from 23 November 2014 – see is the reference for this regulatory change